Friday, August 3, 2012

Closing this chapter

Closing a long, memorable, fulfilling chapter of my life has not been easy mainly because I have really enjoyed my 19 year career.  I've had plentiful opportunities to learn, grow, contribute, lead and inspire.  But, it is the opportunities to work with many terrific people that I will remember and miss the most.  

The fun times I've had are countless.  I remember starting with 13 other trainees in a whirlwind tour of the company, making friends who became regular partners in traveling, tennis, rollerblading and dining, working in a once-in-a-lifetime team where we constantly shared laughter as we grew through life changes together, and leading energetic colleagues in annual dragonboat races.  I've had the fortune of meeting individuals who have provided thoughtful friendship, guidance, inspiration and support in my career.

The challenging times at work have proven to be the most memorable.  From long days and nights are results that I am most proud of.  These include starting a multicultural marketing campaign to growing an engaged employee resource group to leading the company's efforts in creating an inclusive culture to helping restore electric power after damaging storms.  

During my career, I've shared so many life changes with my colleagues. Together, we've been through marriages, births, tragedies, and crises.  And, it is through these times where I've been so glad to be part of this supportive community to share many wonderful joys, ease the occasional sorrow and work together to stand up to unexpected challenges.  

I am thankful for my experiences for they have provided me the opportunity, skills and confidence to pursue my passions.  So, as I walk away today, I look back with pride at all that I accomplished and the lives I've touched.  I will retain some great memories and lifelong friendships.  Leaving isn't easy but I know what I have to look forward to is worth it.

My daughter quoted me in a note she wrote the other day:  "Live live for your passions because you only live once."  I hope we each get the opportunity to do that.at.

No comments:

Post a Comment