Monday, February 6, 2012

Uh oh. Mother-in-law weighs in on our decision.

We have some family and friends who don't fully understand or support our career switch to make me the stay at home parent. Now, I know others' opinions are insignificant in our decision but my wife is taking a lot of heat from her mom. And, because my wife doesn't handle stress from her mom easily, it is driving her nuts. My wife describes recent years as the teenage rebellion from her controlling mom that she never had. While my wife would prefer remaining the stay at home parent to our 10 and 7 year old children, she understands my desire to be a stay at home dad. She agrees that life is too short and that we have just one chance to live it.

However, my wife's mother maintains the "mother stays home, father goes to earn money" philosophy. She questions why I would choose to leave the stability of a well-paying job. She's concerned of how others would react. She regrets gifting us money (done for tax purposes) and setting up trust funds for our children (her only grandchildren). She has even called me "lazy" for making this decision.

I never expected my mother-in-law to exuberantly support of our career switch. While she stayed at home to raise two daughters, her husband worked and saved for decades before succumbing to cancer. He never had a chance to enjoy retirement. She shared her regrets about staying at home and had wished for a different career path. My wife and I learned from their experience and considered it while making our decision. I don't want to stay at a job just to retire with a pension and some health benefits. Each of us should live their life for their passions. However, "pursuit of happiness" and "living life to its fullest" mantras seem to be lost on my wife's mom despite her own regrets.

I understand and appreciate the difficulties that generational differences can pose. Shaking up the traditional roles of father and mother unnerves my mom-in-law. And, quite frankly, I think a lot of that is her dread of answering questions from like-minded contemporaries like "why is your daughter working and your son-in-law at home with the kids??"

It's nice that she wants to ensure our financial ability to make this switch. However, her motivations go beyond that as she is particularly controlling about money. We shared that we performed a detailed financial analysis and that I would not even consider this if we had to change our current lifestyle. Thankfully, my wife can earn more than enough money to do so. But, her mom doesn't believe us. Instead, she thinks we will live off the money she has gifted us or will leave us when she passes. On the contrary, we have not touched a single dollar she has gifted us nor do we have plans to use any except for the funds she has put into trust for kids' college educations.

To top if off, she has called me "lazy" for leaving my cushy job. On the contrary, she should recall her own experience as stay-at-home parent and realize that I am leaving an office job for one with a lot more responsibility and accountability. I know you already know how much work it takes to maintain a household and raise children so I won't expand. And, next year I will pursue another passion of being an elementary school teacher. That will add hours of classwork and homework. "Lazy"? I don't think so.

8 comments:

  1. You need to cut off your MIL... That is not fair to you. Calling you lazy for this decision is not something I would take lightly. This is grounds for war. If my MIL ever said anything like that to me you can bet she would be getting a lecture. LAZY? I can't believe what I am hearing. That is making me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "lazy' comment is mean indeed. She doesn't realize that she is calling herself the same since she was a stay at home parent herself.

      Last Spring, when my wife and I began discussions about a career switch, she shared it first with her mom. Surprisingly, the news was met with support. Two months later, we shared at a family party and MIL was upset that we did. Apparently, our final decision was not confirmed to her beforehand.

      Well, fast forward 6 months til now. As we remain on track to do this in 5 months, reality is hitting MIL. She seems to be lashing out due to a lack of control over this decision. (She is a control freak)

      She's only talked to me once about this recently and I gladly shared how this change will benefit all of us. But, she's given my wife much more grief about it. And, my wife is not adept at managing the stress her family gives her. It hasn't changed our commitment to do this but her mom has made this road a bit bumpier than anticipated.

      I don't think my MIL will EVER fully understand. I joked with my wife that if I ever win a Parent or Teacher of the Year award, her mom would scoff at it and mutter how much more money I could have made!

      Delete
  2. Hi Henry,
    I have to totally disagree with your mother-in-law and want to remind her as well of her own experiences of being an At Home Parent. I am an At Home Dad to twins who turned six last December and I am grateful for the experience every day. I agree with the other dad who replied in that your wife may need to cut off your mother-in-law in regards to your decision. If your mother-in-law is not able to accept and fully support your decision that you both made together than the mother-in-law does not deserve to have interaction with her grandchildren. Everyone I talk with who asks me about what I do for a living is impressed that I am an At Home Dad. It is one of the best decisions you are able to make for yourself and as long as you and your wife agree then there is no reason not to go forward with the decision. I would also have you check out the following websites as well: www.athomedad.org; the National At Home Dad Message Board: www.daddyshome.org; the National At Home Dad Network and www.athomedadconvention.com; website of the longest running At Home Parent Convention that you are able to attend. The 17th Annual At Home Dads Convention is October 6, 2012 in Washington DC. Both you and your wife should keep to your beliefs and do as you are planning to which is for you to start staying home with your children. It is an awesome responsibility and the best job you'll ever have. Kudos for you for wanting to do it and to your wife for agreeing with you to have you do it.

    Robb dad to twins in Omaha NE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Robb, for the support, comments and websites. I am looking forward to assuming those awesome responsibilities as the at home parent!

      Delete
  3. Henry,

    The values your mother-in-law articulates are changing. Clearly there are still pockets of people who feel as she does but she is in the minority. I am a Presbyterian pastor. I have a Doctorate and I am working on my MBA. I chose to set aside professional ministry for a season to raise my four children. I am not being lazy. In contrast, I am sacrificing something that I value to provide what I want for my family. As a pastor, I had standing and stature in the community that I do not have as an at-home dad. You also, I expect, are esteemed by others because of your work. Choosing to lay that down to put your family first is not being lazy. It is giving something to your family at a cost to you. You are right about working being easier than raising kids. I have often thought that it was less stressful handling church politics than it is being at home.

    As you consider your choice, I suggest you think backwards. Picture standing at the ceremony on your kids' wedding days. Which decision would you regret more: Staying home and giving your presence to your children or ceding to pressure from your mother-in-law and giving up your dream of being at home with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- My sentiments are so aligned with yours. Indeed, I am leaving behind something I've enjoyed for so long for a bigger, more important purpose. I know we (my wife, children and I) will not regret it at all. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good for you. There is nothing "lazy" about chasing your dreams and wanting your children by your side every step of the way. One of my favorite quotes would be applicable here... Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

      Best of luck to you and your family!

      Delete