Wednesday, May 11, 2016

One big step done... a bigger one ahead.

Three years ago, I became a student again.  It sure felt weird.  The last time I was a student, there was no internet and the first George Bush was president. But, there I was, in September 2012, in front of my laptop starting another step in my pursuit to be an effective educator.  

22 classes and thousands of working hours later, I embarked on the final semester of my graduate program.  On September 1, I became a student teacher.  I was beyond excited to get in the classroom to learn from experienced teachers and to work with students.  I looked forward to connecting, engaging, and teaching children who hopefully would be forgiving as I learned my craft. 

My expectations of this experience were surpassed greatly.  Those four months were amazingly rewarding and fun.  I learned a great deal from some outstanding teachers. I also learned from each of the fantastically unique students.  

With lots of hugs, well wishes, encouragement and an armful of unexpected gifts from a great group of boys and girls, I bid farewell on my last day as a student teacher.  I absolutely loved being a student teacher and can't wait to have my own set of students one day.  

It is hard to believe that I have finished my graduate degree program and received state certification.  Three years have gone by so quickly.  However, my journey to be an effective educator is not even close to complete as I will join many others in the hunt for a job so I can have the opportunity to teach.  Until then, I have been cherishing the many wonderful memories that I will always keep of being in a classroom as a student teacher for 17 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment