Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life as a student - so far.


I finally decided to do some time management. After plotting my remaining class assignments on a calendar, I ended up with a really packed schedule.  Essays, research papers, keystone assignments and tests will certainly keep me busy for the next seven weeks.  So far, I'm happy with my work and test scores but I have to get more efficient.  I didn't expect the transition to being a student again was going to be a breeze but I want to be able to get things done faster.  After all, I plan to add a fourth course next semester and will take on more household duties at the same time.


I've been enjoying much of my education coursework.  I'm learning a lot that will help me be a good teacher.  I could care less about my undergraduate Math course however since I just need to pass it to fulfill state requirements for liberal arts credits.  Despite that, I studied hard for my first two tests and aced them. I can't help myself!

Over the next few weeks, I need to do thirty hours of classroom observation resulting in ten pages of my best prose.  I started yesterday with three hours in a fourth grade classroom and you shouldn't be surprised that I loved it.  I made new connections, learned from an experienced teacher, met new students, observed morning routines, graded tests and picked up some nifty tips.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time and look forward to next week when I return for more, start observations in a kindergarten class and teach a Junior Achievement lesson to my son's third grade class.

As I speak to teachers, I learn more and more about the challenges they face today with the increased testing requirements and new curriculum standards.  Yes, most teachers get a nice summer break, but their workdays extend way beyond 9am to 3pm, five days a week.  Well, at least for those who care about being an effective teacher.  If I wasn't so passionate about making a positive impact to my future young students, I would reconsider my career choice.

So, my eye is on the prize and I can't wait to get there.  In the meantime, I will relearn how to be a good student, gain experience and learn, learn and learn some more.  Oh, and spend time in classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment