Thursday, September 6, 2012

What was I thinking??


It's been a wonderful summer that started with my daughter's graduation from elementary school, our family vacation to Seattle and San Francisco, and my retirement from a long, fulfilling career.  We ended the summer with a lot of fun family time and ten days in Charlotte and Hilton Head.  While it's been a terrific few months, it's time to move ahead with my goal of being an elementary school teacher.  But, standing in the way are 74 credits of graduate and undergraduate coursework.

As I start this journey, I can't help but ask my myself, "What was I thinking??"

I never desired to leave my corporate career to be a student.  Rather, it was to be a stay at home dad and a teacher.  But, before I become the latter, I knew I had to be a student first.  I know I'm not the only adult to go back to school but for me, it's been over 20 years since I've been a graduate student so it's a daunting task in my mind.  Well, with two graduate classes starting this week, the reality is hitting me.  Syllabuses, weekly and keystone assignments, research papers - all are terms I haven't seen since Bush (the first one!) was President.

And, starting next month, I will manage the duties of managing the household.  I have actually been looking forward to these responsibilities for years.  But, the reality of that is hitting me, too.  My wife has done a terrific job as a stay at home mom for eleven years.  And, while I have my own approach, I'll have to keep juggling all the tasks that have been done before while being a student.

As I am just starting to transition to my new life, I know that the newness will wear off and I'll settle into a groove.  I just need to manage my time and be organized like I've never had to in my life before.  After all, I have a deep desire to fulfill the goals I've dreamed of for many years.  There is much work ahead indeed but I will do this!  

No comments:

Post a Comment