Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How can we best enrich our children's lives?

Having grown up with two selfless, hardworking immigrant parents make me appreciate many things in life. Like many parents, mine sacrificed quite a lot and worked real hard just to provide for their children with hopes that we have a better life than they. It is with that frame of mind that I constantly seek to provide for my children in ways that will give them even more opportunities than I had.

For me, buying material possessions is way down the list of importance. My priorities are educating them to be intelligent, well mannered, respectful young people who can think for themselves and deal with life's challenges with a positive attitude throughout their lives. Lofty goals indeed. All can only be taught through everyday interactions - mostly by being a role model and demonstrating such values. The more the kids are exposed to these qualities, the greater the chance they can embody the same.

It is my sincere belief (and hope) my kids are exposed to such values more when I am home with them. A lot comes from having good two way communication between parents and their children. Through constant and open dialogue, all parties will learn from each other. Unlike my wife, I have a natural desire to teach and I am constantly teaching our children. Just recently, their lives have been enriched by positive teaching moments on respecting diversity, how the economic downturn affects our community, utilizing time efficiently, key aspects of our culture and, most recently, the Bin Laden story.

I would love the opportunity to impart more and being a stay at home dad would provide the chance for our children to be enriched. It is certainly a different way of providing for the children than my hardworking parents had in mind. But, I know they would be proud that I care enough about my family to consider the best way I can enrich my children's lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment